1. A. back B. safely C. table D. strange
2. A. rare B. square C. care D. are
3. A. taught B. caught C. laughter D. daughter
4. A. white B. whisper C. whose D. wheel
5. A. kick B. resist C. silver D. April
6. It’s the first turning the left after the traffic lights.
A. by B. in C. on D. for
7. of them knew about the plan because it was secret.
A. Some B. Any C. No one D. None
8. It’s very kind invite me to your birthday party.
A. from you to B. of you to C. by you to D. that you
9. I pulled the handle I could.
A. so hardly as B. as hardly as C. so hard as D. as hard as
10. Tom, together with his family, to see us tonight.
A. is coming B. are coming C. comes D. come
16. those books do you want?
A. What are B. Which of C. Which are D. What
11. Last Sunday had a picnic in Beihai Park.
A. John, Mary and me B. John, I and Mary
C. John, Mary and I D. I, John and Mary
12. The garden requires .
A. watering B. being watered C. to water D. having watered
13. All that can be done .
A. have been done B. have done C. has been done D. has done
14. I know nothing about him he is a teacher.
A. besides B. in addition C. except for D. except that
15. You never told us why you were late for the party, ?
A. weren’t you B. didn’t you C. had you D. did you
16. He’s to know the answer.
A. likely B. probable C. maybe D. probably
17. I knew him better, I discovered that my impression had been right.
A. Which B. As C. Until D. Unless
18. The heavy snow could not keep us going out to work.
A. from B. on C. upon D. up
19. They found the lecture hard .
A. to be understood B. to understand
C. for understanding D. to have been understood
20. I learned how to a bicycle when I was six years old.
A. drive B. ride C. pull D. draw
A Shelter for the Homeless
Last summer I was a volunteer (志愿者) at a shelter for the homeless, a place for homeless people to sleep at night. I wasn’t working that summer and was 21 only two classes in summer school, so I had some 22 time.
Three nights a week, I 23 in the kitchen of the shelter along with four other volunteers. We planned and cooked for 45 people hot meals 24 vegetables, chicken, fish and fruit. The homeless people needed this good food because many of them usually didn’t eat well.
I 25 this volunteer work, making 26 with the four volunteers in the kitchen. One was a very nice elderly housewife, one a movie actor, another a young teacher, and the other a college student, 27 me.
I talked to a lot of the homeless people at the shelter. Their life stories 28 me with sympathy (同情). Some of them had problems with alcohol(酒精) or drugs while others only had bad 29 . One woman worked for almost 30 years for a small company, and then she lost her job. She looked for a 30 job, but couldn’t find one, for she was too 31 . She could do nothing but sell her furniture — sofas, chairs, and tables 32 she could pay for her food. The woman luck on job hunting, but she 33 couldn’t find one. She had no money for her 34 and had to sleep in her car. Then she had to sell her car. Alone, afraid and 20 , , she finally came to the shelter.
21. A. studying B. planning C. holding D. taking
22. A. full B. free C. extra D. long
23. A. helped B. waited C. appeared D. washed
24. A. with B. from C. by D. in
25. A. wanted B. had C. owned D. enjoyed
26. A. decisions B. wishes C. friends D. changes
27. A. as B. like C. except D. besides
28. A. full B. filled C. caught D. provided
30. A. good B. fresh C. skilled D. new
31. A. old B. poor C. sick D. dull